Monday, June 16, 2014

Battles in life are fought from where you stand

Very often, when one conducts strategy brainstorming sessions, two beautiful but often futile phrases, typically starting with 'if only' and 'only if' make their way into the discussion. If only we hadn't exited that one segment three years back, only if there was more money coming from the headquarters, and so on.

There is some beauty in thinking out-of-the-box, and in thinking about possibilities - my only issue with these discussions is that they take away time from the more here-and-now talks that are probably more useful, and maybe critical to have.  Competition has a model of eCommerce where they carry inventory, we don't. There's little point thinking only if we had the inventory model too. It's a useful discussion if you are thinking ten years ahead - if you're thinking just the next year, maybe there is other stuff to fix. Battles in life, not only organizational, but also personal, are fought from where you stand.

If I was standing on top of a hill in this battle, I'd roll a boulder. But if I'm in the valley, that's where I am and that's where I'll have to fight from. If I roll a boulder, it'll roll back on to me.

Maybe I should not be searching for boulders to roll. I should be thinking about avoiding stones that I'll get thrown on me. That's my today. When it's a good time, I should think about how to get on top of the hill. That's tomorrow. And if and when I do figure out a way to the top and get there, that's when I should look for a boulder to push. That's day-after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.